Find Your IP Address From the Command Line Windows users can use a DNS request within Command Prompt to locate their public IP address. Just open Command Prompt and execute this command: nslookup myip.opendns.com. Look up IP Address Location If you can find out the IPv4 or IPv6 address of an Internet user, you can get an idea what part of the country or world they're in by using our IP Lookup tool. What to do: Enter the IP address you're curious about in the box below, then click 'Get IP Details.'
Open up the Command Prompt via your Windows Start menu. Type in “ipconfig” and hit.
If you want to make changes to your router, you need to know your routerâ€™s IP address. Perhaps you want to change the network name, create a new WiFi password, or use a different channel to boost your internet speed. These functions are accessible through your routerâ€™s log-on page, but you can only get there if you know how to find your routerâ€™s IP address.
What is an IP Address?
An Internet Protocol (IP) address isa unique string of numbers that identifies the devices in a network. Itâ€™s kindof like a mailing address that lets the mailman will know exactly where to dropoff your packages.
IP addresses can be public orprivate. A public IP address is assigned to you by your Internet ServiceProvider (ISP), such as AT&T or Comcast. However, a private IP address iswhat allows all your devices to communicate with each other over your privatenetwork. In order to be connected to the outside world, devices with a privateIP address need to connect to a public IP address, usually through a modem.
IP addresses can also be static or dynamic. A static IP address will not change over time, while a dynamic IP address does change. In most cases, your router will take a (mostly) static public IP address from your modem and transform it into a dynamic private IP address. This allows you to buy new devices and connect them to your WiFi without having to set a new IP address for every device.
How to Find Your Routerâ€™s IP Address on Windows
If youâ€™re using Windows, you canfind your routerâ€™s IP address by using the Command Prompt app or the ControlPanel. From the Command Prompt app, type ipconfig, hit Enter, and yoursystem will bring up your default gateway or IP address. In Control Panel, goto Network and internet > View network status and tasks > Ethernet >Details. Here are the steps for each method.
How to Find Router IP Address with Command Prompt
- Click the Windows search bar, and type Command Prompt in the search box.
- Then press Enter. You can also double click on the Command Prompt app that appears in the search results.
- Type ipconfig in the command line and press Enter.
- You will see your routerâ€™s IP address next to the Default Gateway.
How to Find Router IP Address with the Control Panel
Ifyou prefer to use the Control Panel, hereâ€™s how to find your routerâ€™s IPaddress:
- Open the Windows search bar and type Control Panel in the search box.
- Hit Enter. You can also double click on the Control Panel app.
- Under Network and Internet, click on View network status and tasks.
- Then click on the link for Connection: WiFi. If you are connecting directly to your router with an Ethernet cable, this might say Connection: Ethernet instead.
- Then click on Details in the pop-up box.
- Your routerâ€™s IP address will be next to IPv4 Default Gateway.
How to Find Your Routerâ€™s IP Address on a Mac
You can find your routerâ€™s IPaddress on a Mac in two ways. First, you can open System Preferences, click onNetwork, and then see the connection details on the Ethernet or WiFi panel. Or,you can launch the Terminal app, type netstat -nr grep default, hitEnter, and look at the default IP address. Just follow these steps below.
How to Find Router IP Address with System Preferences
- Go to System Preferences. You can access this by clicking on the Apple logo in the top left corner of your screen and clicking System Preferences from the drop-down menu.
- Click on Network.
- Select WiFi in the left panel. If you are connected through Ethernet, your router IP address will be displayed along with other network information when you select the Ethernet from the left-hand side of the panel.
- Then click on Advanced.
- Click on the TCP/IP tab in the top panel.
- You will find your routerâ€™s IP address next to Router.
How to Find Router IP Address with the Terminal App
- Open the Terminal app. You can find this by opening your Applications folder and double-clicking Utilities.
- Then type netstat -nr grep default, and press Enter.
- Your routerâ€™s IP address will be indicated after the line which says â€œdefault.â€
How to Sign In To Your Router
- Open any web browser. You can use Chrome, Firefox, Safari, or any other web browser.
- Type your routerâ€™s default IP address into the search bar, and press Enter.
Note: You might be prompted that the webpage you are trying to view is not secure. Make sure that you have the correct address typed in, then click on the option to proceed even if itâ€™s unsafe.
- Log in by typing your routerâ€™s user name and password.
Note: This information can be usually found in your routerâ€™s manual. Default log-in credentials per router brand vary.
If you are still having problems figuring out how to log in to your router, be sure to check out our guide on how to reset a router.
Was this article helpful?
Mar 16, 2021 Share
You can find your IP address in your computer’s settings. An IP address is four numbers (usually) that make an important part of how your devices connect to the internet, as well as how you are seen and tracked online. It usually works behind the scenes making sure that the data you request makes it back to your computer, but sometimes you need it when troubleshooting your home network or internet connection. There are several ways you can find your IP address, so we’ll go through some of the basic ones.
How to find your IP address in a browser
No matter what device you’re using, one simple way of finding your IP address is simply asking Google. The steps are pretty easy:
- Open a browser like Chrome or Safari.
- Navigate to Google.
- Search for “What is my IP address?”
- Google will display your IP address at the top of the search results.
This method requires the extra step of running a browser (which you’re doing anyway if you’re reading this), but it’s still pretty simple on any platform. There are also other sites that will tell you your IP address, along with other information, such as guessing your rough location based on your IP address.
How to find your IP address on a PC
The fastest way to find your IP address on a PC is to use the IPCONFIG command. To do this, follow these steps:
- Open the Command Prompt. This can be done by finding it in your Start Menu, by right-clicking on the Windows icon at the bottom of the screen, or by just searching for “Command Prompt.”
- Type the command “IPCONFIG” into the Command Prompt and press Enter. This will list all the Windows IP configuration information.
- Your IP address is the IPv4 Address. which should be four numbers separated by periods.
- Click the Apple icon, and choose System Preferences.
- Select Network.
- Find and select your network, and then click Advanced at the bottom of the window.
- Under the TCP/IP tab, the IP address should be listed next to IPv4 Address.
- Navigate to Settings.
- Select Network & internet.
- Go to Wi-Fi and click on the Wi-Fi network you’re using.
- Hit Advanced.
- Your IP address is listed under IP address.
- Open Settings and select Wi-Fi.
- Find and select your Wi-Fi network.
- Your IP address is listed under IP Address.
Having issues with your internet connection? See what other options are available in your area.
What is an IP address?
An IP address is a number that identifies your device on the internet. IP stands for internet protocol, or the rules and standards that devices use to communicate with each other over the internet. This protocol is responsible for making sure that all of your online requests go where you want them to go and come back.
Any time you interact with a website, your device has to send a message to a web server, telling it what you want to do. If you click on a link, your device sends a message to the server asking for the new page. Your IP address tells the server where it needs to send the new page.
Every packet of information that travels across the internet has both the IP address of its source and its destination, along with other information about the packet. These addresses ensure that your information is routed in the right direction as it winds its way through the pathways of the internet.
How do I get an IP address?
Every device that connects to the internet is assigned an IP address. This is usually done by your internet service provider (ISP), though it can’t just make up a new number for you. There are large international organizations that divide up available numbers by region. These regional organizations then give them out to ISPs that operate in those regions so that they can assign them to devices—like yours—on their network.
Is my computer’s IP address permanent?
Your IP address isn’t permanent and can change periodically. This can happen for many reasons, such as turning your modem off or having certain kinds of service disruption. Although older dial-up connections assigned a new IP address every time you connected, most modern internet connections will keep the same address most of the time.
Your IP address will also change if you connect to a different network. For example, if you take your laptop to a coffee shop and connect to its Wi-Fi, the coffee shop’s ISP will assign you a new IP address so that it knows where to send the information you’re requesting from the internet.
Can I be tracked by my IP address?
Yes, you can be tracked by your IP address. In fact, that’s the whole point. Your ISP tracks your IP address in order to make sure the information you want—which could be text, images, video, or more—gets to your device. That also means that lots of other people on the internet could see where you’re going on the internet. For example, advertisers might use your location to sell you products or media companies might restrict access to content in certain countries.
Since IP addresses change fairly often, it’s pretty hard to trace them back to a specific person or home address (unless someone subpoenas that information from your ISP). It does, however, give a fairly good idea of where information is going. For example, one developer was able to create a program that tweeted every time someone from the US congress edited a Wikipedia article.1
Your IP address can be used to track your online activity, even if you’re browsing in private or incognito mode. If you don’t want your location to be public, you can use a VPN service to hide your IP address. For more information, check out our review of the best VPN services.
- Ben Gilbert, Engaget, “The United States Congress edits Wikipedia constantly” July 11, 2014, Accessed February 25, 2021.
How To Find My Internet Ip Address
Author - Peter Christiansen
Peter Christiansen writes about satellite internet, rural connectivity, livestreaming, and parental controls for HighSpeedInternet.com. Peter holds a PhD in communication from the University of Utah and has been working in tech for over 15 years as a computer programmer, game developer, filmmaker, and writer. His writing has been praised by outlets like Wired, Digital Humanities Now, and the New Statesman.
Apr 30, 2021
How To Find Internet Address
Apr 27, 2021
Apr 27, 2021
Apr 14, 2021
Apr 14, 2021