Law360 (April 9, 2021, 6:33 PM EDT) - A Western District of Texas jury decided on Friday that Roku Inc. Had not infringed two interactive television technology patents held by software. If you wonder how to find Roku IP address, there is a way of doing it using the remote. In fact, finding the IP address of the Roku device is the easiest. That is because it is perfectly convenient to find the IP address within the device. The good news is that your Roku has the device’s IP address located under the menus themselves. If you select Wired, don't forget to connect your Roku box or TV to your router using an Ethernet cable. Your Roku device will directly connect to your home network and the internet. Once confirmed, you can continue with the remaining setup steps for your Roku device. Dec 25, 2020 Remote: Go to the Roku settings, search for networking, then look under About to find your Roku's IP address. Router: Open a browser, enter your router's IP address in the URL bar to open the admin interface, then look for a list of connected devices.
If you see a 'Make sure your Roku device is powered on and connected to your WiFi network' message on the device selection screen in the Roku app, your Roku device was not detected over your network.
First, try going through network setup to ensure your Roku device is visible ('awake') on your home network: Go to Settings >Network from your Roku device (or Settings > Network > Repeat guided setup from an original Roku device).
After you have successfully checked your connection, tap 'Try Again' in the Roku mobile app.
If that did not work, try exiting the Roku app, turning your phone's (or tablet's) Wi-Fi off and on and re-entering the app.
Next, confirm your Roku device is on the same network as your phone:
- On your phone, open Settings and check your network's IP address. Go to Settings > Wi-Fi > Your network name and write down the number next to 'IP Address.' Your IP address will be a four-part number (e.g. 192.168.0.125).
- Now, check the IP address of your Roku device. If you have a Roku TV, go to Settings > System > About. For all other Roku devices, go to Settings > About from your Roku device (Settings > Player info from original Roku device). Write down the number next to “IP Address.”
- The first three of four numbers of the IP address of your phone and your Roku device should match (e.g. 192.168.0 from IP address 192.168.0.101). If these numbers do not match, your Roku device and phone are not on the same network.
If the IP address numbers match, you can connect manually by entering the IP address of your Roku device in the Roku app. Tap 'Connect Manually' in the mobile app and follow directions.
If the IP address numbers do not match and your Roku device and phone are not on the same network, try the following:
- If your Roku device is connected via Wi-Fi, check that your phone or Roku device aren't accidentally connected to a neighbor's Wi-Fi network.
- If your Roku device is connected via Ethernet, connect it wirelessly to the same Wi-Fi network as your phone. Go through Wi-Fi setup on your Roku device by selecting Settings > Network. Have your network password ready.
- If you are using a combination cable modem/wireless router, try adding a separate wireless router to your network and connecting your Roku device and phone to it.
- If you have multiple wireless routers in your home, check that your Roku device and phone are connected to the same router (same SSID).
If the app still does not show your Roku device, try powering down your Roku device, phone, and router. Restart all devices, wait 3 minutes, then launch the Roku app again.
Every Roku player comes with its own remote control. But, unlike most of the other remotes you’ve ever used, Roku remotes use WiFi to connect to their players. That means if you lose your remote or it stops working, you can’t watch your shows. Luckily, there is a workaround to this that lets you control your Roku device with your smartphone. Here’s how to use your Roku device without a remote control, even if you are on a new WiFi network.
How to Use Your Roku Without a Remote
To use your Roku player without a remote, download the Roku app on your smartphone or tablet. Connect the device with the app to the same WiFi network as your Roku player. Then select Devices in the app and tap the remote icon.
Note: Your Roku device must be connected to the same WiFi network as your smartphone for these steps to work. If your Roku device was previously connected to a WiFi network that you can’t connect your smartphone to now, skip to the next section to find out how to connect the app to your Roku player using a mobile hotspot.
- Download and install the Roku app. The app is available on the Google Play Store for Android devices and the Apple App Store for iPhones and other Apple devices.
Note: There are a lot of third-party apps, so make sure to select the official app from Roku Inc.
- Open the app and follow the on-screen instructions. If this is your first time using the Roku app, you will have to agree to the terms and services and go through a quick tutorial.
- Then tap Devices. You will see this at the bottom of your screen. If this is your first time using the app, you will have to tap OK to allow it to find your Roku devices.
- Next, select your Roku device.
- Then tap the Remote icon. You will see this plus-shaped icon once you tap on your device.
- Finally, you can use the remote on the app to control your TV. You can continue to use the app on your smartphone to control your Roku player as long as you want. However, make sure that your smartphone and Roku player are connected to the same WiFi network.
These steps will work for anyone who lost their Roku remote while at home. However, this won’t work if you are at a hotel, or you can’t access the same WiFi network that your Roku device was previously connected to.
Since your Roku player automatically connects to the last WiFi network it remembers, the Roku app will only work if it is connected to a network with the same name and password. So, you could set up a new WiFi network with the same name and password. However, if you are not able to set up a new network, you can also set up a mobile hotspot and use it to connect your Roku player to the app on your smartphone.
How to Connect Your Roku Player to the App Using a Mobile Hotspot
Activate My Roku Ip Address
To connect the Roku player and the app on a new WiFi network, use a device to set up a mobile hotspot with the same name and password as the WiFi network your Roku device was last connected to. Then download the Roku app on another device and connect it to the hotspot.
Note: You will need 2 devices for these steps to work: one that you can use to create a hotspot, and another that has the Roku app installed. This is because you cannot set up a hotspot on your smartphone and then connect your Roku app to that hotspot using that same device. You will also need to know the name and password of the WiFi network that your Roku device was previously connected to.
- Set up a mobile hotspot on one device. You can use a Mac or Windows computer or laptop, a smartphone, tablet, or any device that has mobile hotspot services. If you want to know how to set up a hotspot on any device, check out our step-by-step guide here.
- Give your hotspot the same name and password as the last network that your Roku player was connected to. These steps will not work unless you previously connected your Roku device to a WiFi network. So, if the last time you used your Roku device, it was at a friend’s house, you will need to set up a hotspot with the same name and password as your friend’s WiFi network.
- Then connect your other device to that hotspot. This is the device that you will use to download the Roku app. For example, if you are using an iPhone, you would go to Settings >General >Wi-Fi. Then connect to the hotspot you just set up. You can do this just like you would connect to any other WiFi network.
- Next, download and open the Roku app on your other device. This is not the device that you used to set up the hotspot. This is the device that you just used to connect to the hotspot you set up.
Note: If you previously had the Roku app open on your device, make sure to close and reopen it before proceeding.
- Then go to Devices and select your Roku player. If you don’t see your device listed, you can refresh it by swiping down on your screen.
- Next, tap the remote icon. You should now be able to use the Roku app to control your Roku device.
Note: Don’t forget that using a mobile hotspot to stream video can eat up a lot of data. So, you should change the network settings on your Roku device to connect it to an available WiFi network instead of your hotspot.
- Then use the remote on the app to go to Settings on your Roku device. You can find this by tapping the Home button on the remote in your app. Then use the up and down arrow keys to change position in the left sidebar.
- Next, select Network.
- Then go to Set up connection and select Wireless.
- Tap OK on your remote. Your streaming device will search for available wireless networks.
- Then choose a new network. If you don’t see your network listed, select Scan again to see all networks.
Note: If this is a network that you will not be using from now on, make sure to write down the name and password in case you have to connect your Roku player to the app using a hotspot again.
- Finally, enter the WiFi password and tap Connect.
If you still have your Roku remote, but it just isn’t working, check out our step-by-step guide on how to pair your Roku remote or reset it.