- The easiest way to find your public IP address is by asking a website, since that website sees your public IP address and can tell it to you.
- The Internet Protocol Address (or IP Address) is a unique address that computing devices such as personal computers, tablets, and smartphones use to identify itself and communicate with other devices in the IP network.Any device connected to the IP network must have a unique IP address within the network. An IP address is analogous to a street address or telephone number in that it is used to.
- Find out what your public IPv4 and IPv6 address is revealing about you! My IP address information shows your location; city, region, country, ISP and location on a map. Many proxy servers, VPNs, and Tor exit nodes give themselves away.
Internet Protocol Address: Definition
An Internet Protocol address (IP address) is a numerical label assigned to each device connected to a computer network that uses the Internet Protocol for communication. An IP address serves two main functions: host or network interface identification and location addressing. The public IP address is the Internet Protocol address, logged by various servers/devices. This is when you connect to these devices through your internet connection. This is the same IP address that we show on our homepage. So why the secondary page? Well, not everyone speaks the language of IP.
The Internet Protocol (IP) knows each logical host interface by a number, the so-called IP address. On any given network, this number must be unique among all the host interfaces that communicate through this network. Users of the Internet usually use a domain name in addition to their numerical IP address.
The IP address of users browsing the world wide web are used to enable communications with to the server of the web site. Also it is usually in the header of email messages one sends. Depending on one's Internet connection the IP address can be the same every time one connects, a static IP address, or different per session (but the first part being the same each time): a dynamic IP address.
Internet addresses are needed not only for unique enumeration of host interfaces, but also for routing purposes, therefore a high fraction of them are always unused or reserved. As there are only a limited number of 32-bit IP addresses currently available to be allocated, with rising demand for new devices, including personal communicators for up to 6 billion people world-wide, there is a real prospect of the world running out of IP addresses.
A number of measures have been taken to conserve the existing IPv4 address space (such as CIDR and the use of NAT and DHCP), but there is a general consensus that the Internet is going to have to upgrade its addressing scheme to the longer 128-bit IPv6 addressing scheme sometime in the next 5 to 15 years.
Why would one need to see their own IP address? Well, this is geared toward those who have a different LAN and WAN IP addresses. For example, those behind routers, or those behind their school proxies would require their WAN IP address were they looking to host a game, connect in peer-to-peer chat, connect in peer-to-peer file sharing, connect in peer-to-peer video conferencing, troubleshooting with your ISP or any of the countless other reasons. If used your default operating system ipconfig tool to find out your IP, the other party you wish to have connect to you would not be able to under the circumstances of a different LAN/WAN IPs, because the ipconfig tool only gives you your internal network IP (LAN).
If you came here to seek your WAN IP address, please bookmark so you can come back with ease.
Useful Networking Sites
How To See My Public Ip Address
- Broadbandreports Charts - Reviews of various broadband providers, charted by rating
- IPFire - An open-source hardened Linux firewall with corporate-level network protection.
- ShieldsUP! - A free tool that tests your connection for vulnerable ports.
Webmasters: If you found this site useful, please link to us by copying and pasting the code below into your site. We appreciate it! 😊<a href='https://www.showmyipaddress.com'>Show My IP Address</a>